A mix of written & graphic communications projects created for professional, personal & educational purposes are linked below.
This section includes a link to my staff page on EMU’s student newspaper, the Eastern Echo, and links to articles written for several journalism courses. They show my skills at News Writing, Research, Information Design, Analysis, and Interviewing.
- Lessons Learned in Kindergarten Still Apply in College (Reflection and expression)
- Higher education "harshes my mellow" (Reflection and expression)
- Drones used for good (Current event news and research)
- New campus drinking fountains are great investment (Current event news)
- Letter to the Editor
- EMU Students Feeling Optimistic About Job Prospects (Research, Interviewing, analysis, current news feature writing)
- Just Me and Bobby Calderoni (Interviewing, Research, and feature news writing about a person)
- The Adirondacks' Best Kept Secret (Feature news writing about a place)
- Observing the Corner Brewery (Feature news writing about an observation)
- Traumatic Brain Injuries affect Everything in your Life (Research, information analysis, and news reporting on meeting)
- Three Cheers for Craft Beers? The Revolution in Beer Brewing (Interviewing, Research, and feature writing about trending topic)
- I’m not Blonde—Just Naive (feature writing about an amusing story)
TECHNICAL WRITING PROJECTS
CONTEXT: I created the technical writing artifacts linked here in the course of my work or for EMU Technical Writing courses. Links go to my blogs or pdf documents uploaded on my blog or to Google Docs files. They show my skills and abilities in Technical Writing, Researching, Information Design & Analysis, Proposal & Case study writing, and Interviewing & Analyzing a target audience.
EMU Freshman Solution Proposal (User testing, research, analysis, and tech writing)
Internet Resources for EMU First Year Writing Program Students (Research, Information design, audience analysis)
Case Studies for First Year Writing Program Instructors (Interviewing, Information analysis and design, Research, Instructional aid, Augmented reality, YouTube)
Rhetorical Analysis of a YouTube Commercial (Rhetorical style analysis, information design, Research, and Technical Writing)
Discourse Community Analysis of Internet Writing (Rhetorical Style Analysis, Technical Writing, Information Design, and Research)
Style Remake Project (Writing based on style of TV program, Information Design, Photoshop, MS Sway, Technical Writing)
BLOGS AND PORTFOLIOS
Blogs I own or add content to
Marianne’s Musings Blog Home (My personal Blog, WordPress, design and maintain)
Marianne’s Musings Blog site Portfolio (Portfolio page of my blog, design and maintain)
Ann Arbor First Street Garden Inn B&B Blog (WordPress Blog, design, write and post content, and maintain)
The following Blog portfolios feature course work done within the last nine months.
Writing: Style and Technology Course Portfolio (WordPress Blog demonstrating writing ability and analysis of writing styles)
Writing for the World Wide Web Course Portfolio Blog (WordPress Blog demonstrating Internet writing projects, including WordPress, Weebly, and HTML/CSS coding)
GRAPHIC COMMUNICATION PROJECTS
EMU Unleashed Poster (Original Poster created with Adobe InDesign)
PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION PROJECTS
Technical Writing Projects created in the course of my employment (Before my Technical Writing education)
Social Media Community Awareness Campaign
CONTENT WRITING PROJECTS
AUGMENTED REALITY PROJECTS
You will need to download the free Aurasma App to view and hear the interactive Aura overlays (augmented parts) "hidden over" the EMU App poster.
MICROSOFT SWAY PRESENTATIONS
I created these MS Sway Portfolio Presentations for an Augmented Reality course project. Each presentation contains some form of interactivity.
NOTE: The "PicQuotes" (images with text overlays) with technical writer limericks were created for an assignment in a Technical Writing class, meant to define what a technical communicator does. These original poems were written in the classic "bawdy pub style," which is tongue-in-cheek fun and not meant to be serious. Enjoy them with the backdrop photos from the Adirondack Mountains of northern New York. They are sprinkled throughout the presentation.
Professional Writing SwayPresentation (Artifacts Created in the course of my employment)
Website Design Sway Presentation (Mockups, HTML/CSS coded, WordPress, and Weebly sites)